Tuesday, September 8, 2015

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE PRAYER

I remembered one thing the pastor said during last Sunday's service, and that is

we should not underestimate prayer. 

There are so many things to do with the Christian life like: serving, volunteering, joining, signing up, giving, evangelizing, etc. that we forget that one of the most important if not the most important thing to prioritize is to pray. Even Jesus called the temple a House of Prayer (not a house of evangelizing, a house of missions, a house of charity, etc.)

Last night on the front page news, I saw the story of a British missionary and his El Salvadorian wife who lost their baby in a messy set up. My heart melted inside me. I hate news about human trafficking, abused, kidnapped or lost children. Even though I didn't know this couple I broke down in tears and prayed to the Lord to rescue this baby.

I showed the story to my little girl and told her to thank the Lord that she is safe with her family. I just can't imagine parents in that situation. I cried over the McCanns many times. I can't bear such thoughts and I am never grateful enough to God for safe children.

Imagine my surprise to see the updates this story the next day. The child who was believed to be intentionally exchanged in an attempt to abduct a white child in a Latin American country was immediately returned to the rightful parents, three months after the child went missing.

Since the parents are Christians I don't doubt they had communities hunching over in prayer for them. And the prayers were heard. If you were one of those praying earlier then you should know your prayers were among those that were heard and answered.

This is not the first time I've seen God answer prayers. Both in my life or in the life of other people or even of strangers that I only hear of in the news! In simple things and in complex things, God answers prayers.

During these difficult times I myself have humbled myself in prayer with my child many times and asked the Lord to provide our needs. So many times this prayer is immediately answered and I tell the good news to my expectant little one. We both rejoice in thanksgiving, and she is taught an important lesson.

I know sometimes this is not always the case. Sometimes God does not answer prayers or not answer them immediately, which is just as important an issue and has a place for discussion and study. Those moments have a place in God's plan. These are not reasons to lose hope or to stop praying.

Keep in mind the parable of the Widow and the Unrighteous Judge:

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

18 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’”
Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them?I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” New King James Version (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment